Tucked away in a garage-parking alley, The Den is probably one of the most unexpected and trendiest jewelry workshops I’ve ever come across. Owned by Master Goldsmith Kristin Calkins, this vibrant studio offers customers the chance to make their own keepsakes while trying their hand at being a goldsmith.
The overall studio vibe is pretty laidback, giving you the creative workspace to enjoy the experience, make mistakes, get artsy and simply have a good time. The Den’s small youthful staff is more than willing to help if you have any questions, and all seem to be artists themselves.
Enrolling in a one-off private workshop was a new experience that turned a regular Sunday into a memorable experience. Not only was I able to complete the cufflinks I attempted to make during the workshop, but I also surprised myself with the results. I can’t wait to give this gift to my dad, and let him know I actually made it myself!
As much as I’m happy with my creation, this experience certainly taught me just how hard it is to create jewelry—I give goldsmiths a lot more credit now since I’ve actually experienced a glimpse of the work that goes into it, and it is NOT easy!
If you are about to take a workshop at The Den, here are a few Tips I’d like to share:
- Don’t wear black
- The Den provides a small snack bar of chips, coffee and juice, but depending on how long you stay you might want to bring a few extra snacks with you
- There aren’t many restaurants nearby to grab something during your workshop, so don’t plan to get something after you’ve arrived
- There is street and residential parking, but no nearby parking lots, so give yourself a bit of time to find a spot if you’re driving
- The workshop can get noisy with hammering, drilling and sawing, so if you are sensitive to noise bring ear-buds
- The studio is home to a few friendly furry creatures, but if you have allergies pack your antihistamines!
If you haven’t booked a workshop at The Den but would like to, visit www.thedentoronto.com
The Den Toronto – DIY Jewelry Workshop
Address: 1960 Davenport Rd, Toronto, ON M6N 1C2
Phone: (647) 479-7336
Hours: Open today · 11AM–10PM